Four Lions - Design inspiration

After recently purchasing the DVD for a film I have loved since it's debut in British cinemas last year, I adored the way the box cover (and incidentally the poster too) are put together. It was designed by All City Media, quite a strange thing for a media company to do but I guess you get work where you can when in the design industry.
I also like the fact the film's recommendations are all simply the word 'funny', which on it's on would not really sell the film at all but as a collective has a humour value about it in itself.












 

 This minimalistic alternative was created by Jon Contino and Film favourite Olly Moss, who I have reviewed and admired many times before in college projects and on here. The attention to detail, while staying as simplistic as possible is what makes it work so well. The Hebrew type and the bomb wick resembling the string off a postage label are particular highlights for myself. The only problem I personally have with it is how bright the red background is. Moss' posters usually have a lovely balance of colour's, but this is simply too bright. It detracts from everything else and doesn't do the advertisement any favours.





The film as a whole was brilliant in my eyes. Although, you can't really go wrong with a director as hilarious as Chris Morris (Who I will be reviewing shortly). The viewing may be uncomfortable for some viewers as it  can be seen as a bit of a taboo subject in the world of film, but I think that's why I enjoyed it so much. It dared to stand out there and do something different. I think I just got a new favourite film.

No comments:

Post a Comment